"HOW TO BE A GOOD ASIAN" IS COMING!
I'm so excited to announce that I will be publishing a new series of blogs about "HOW TO BE A GOOD ASIAN" - my way of redefining what it means to be a "GOOD ASIAN" and live happier more fulfilling lives. It's gonna be the blog I WISH I could've read when I was coming up in middle school and high school.
OH. You heard that right. LEMME 'SPLAIN.
I grew up being a "GOOD ASIAN" any immigrant parent would LOVE. Stay out of trouble, straight As, president of student organizations, got into top schools like Swarthmore, Harvard and MIT, scholarships and fellowships. Like, ferreals, if you needed to copy off of someone in class, I'd be your top pick.
But deep inside, I was LOST.
AT SOME POINT I AND MY HIGH-ACHIEVING ASIAN AMERICAN FRIENDS REALIZED THAT OUR ACCOMPLISHMENTS DID NOT MAKE US HAPPY. WE SERIOUSLY HAD OTHER THINGS TO FIGURE OUT - LIKE OUR HAPPINESS AND MENTAL HEALTH.
AND WHAT'S WORSE IS THE ASIAN AMERICAN KIDS WHO DIDN'T DO SO WELL IN SCHOOL WERE MADE TO FEEL WORTHLESS FOR NOT FITTING THE NARROW, STRAIGHT-A STUDENT EXPECTATIONS.
As kids, the pressure to be a "GOOD ASIAN" felt so BIG. I thought, "Hey! If I just listen to teachers and stuff and follow the rules, I'll do just fine." Then school ended and I was like, "Great! I just get a stable job and I'm good to go." Then I got my job and then I was like "Okay, I just make sure I do really well at my job and everything will be good. This is how life works, right?" Um. Wrong.
I didn't want to just follow the rules and skate by in life anymore. I wanted to KICK ASS. There are actually so many ways to live our lives as Asian Americans that can make us happy and fulfilled!
HOW DID YOU REDEFINE HOW TO BE A GOOD ASIAN, JENNY?
I quit my career in public affairs. I was all about grad school, making good money and slaving away as a director in a 85,000 member non-profit organization. I stopped doing things that didn't lift me up. I reflected, read, therapied and wrote a whole lot. Now, I am a writer. standup comedian and standup comedy show producer. And sometimes I work in television productions in the entertainment industry.
SO WHAT'S "HOW TO BE A GOOD ASIAN" GONNA BE ABOUT?
In this series of blogs, I'll be sharing all kinds of stuff:
- My struggles and triumphs in going from being a Good Asian 2.0 to a Good Asian 3.0 (you'll learn about what that means).
- Stories of Asian American friends and everyday people who are KICKING ASS AT LIFE.
- Solid words of wisdom and resources from badass Asian Americans who are living the life that fulfills them (or at least trying to figure it all out).
- Sometimes, I just might write out the kinds of conversations I have with my hardcore Chinese immigrant parents about what the heck I'm doing with my life.
- Stories and comments that blog readers share so we can step up the conversation.
- We are gonna throw away old ideas about being a "Good Asian" version 2.0.
- Finding the infinite ways to BOLD and use the words BADASS and KICKASS as much as I can in my writing.
All of this is a way for us to REDEFINE what it means to be a "GOOD ASIAN" so we can break away from stupid old stereotypes and expectations and support each other to be well-rounded and happier Asian American kids.
SAVE THE LINKS!
http://HowToBeAGoodAsian.com (directs you to all the blog posts)